Tuesday 25 October 2011

Links to Useful Sites

I've just added three links in the  left sidebar under Links to useful Sites.

The first is an absolutely fantastic seven volume encyclopaedia published c.1910/1912.  They collect together a (fortnightly?) magazine which was being sold around that time.  I find that what most magazines offer even now is the chance to get into the minutia of (perhaps) another woman's lifestyle.  Think Martha Stuart and (UK)Good Housekeeping - people actually live like that! To be able to step back in time too (for me) is just magical.  I have to do my best to leave them alone, otherwise whole chunks of my real day go missing.  So, if you are not too scared by this warning and you are interested in the ideal life of the UK middle class in 1912 there is nothing better out there than this.   Every Woman's Encyclopaedia   

My only criticism is that I struggle with archive.org itself and I've found the easiest way to look at all the books is to simply change the end of the URL.  For example the link i have attached takes you to volume 7, so if you want to start at volume 1 simply change 07londuoft to 01londuoft and so on, depending on the volume you want.  They can all be read on line or downloaded.  PDF download is fine but as my i-Pad doesn't like those I used ebook for that and some of the text in some of the volumes is a bit strange to say the least.

My other regular source of information is the Pat Cryer's fantastic site called Join me in the 1900s

In the main it is a collection of real people's memories of the early 1900's.  It would be best, if you are at all interested, to look at the site itself which explains it all.  It is of more value than the Every Woman's in a way, as it is the  real experience of ordinary folk.  I've found between the two I can answer all kinds of detailed questioned I have about the period I am doing - how did they decorate and furnish their rooms? how did someone in a small town get milk each day?  what sort of things did they put in a meat safe besides meat? and a million more.

I know she is looking for any anecdotes and even more importantly any photographs of the early 1900's and the war years; so if anyone can help please look at the site and get in touch with her.  I wish people valued ephemera more - it is the glue of a time period which always goes missing.

The third addition is a link to a Dolls House magazine which I've been asked to write a bit for.  You know I'm going to love that.  Dolls Houses Past and Present

The final addition is one I can't believe I haven't already put there.  It is a fantastic free on line magazine, AIM.  I think it knocks the published ones into a cocked hat - and aren't they expensive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.